Skip to main content

An Open Letter to New Fathers

Dear New Father,

I am home from work today with my eight-year-old son who is currently in his thirteenth hour of vomit.  A little while ago, as I was helping him wipe his ass, yellow rubber gloves up to my elbows, I got to thinking, and wanted to share a few things I have picked up over the course of his young life. If you are expecting a child of your own, good luck buddy. Wave goodbye, my friend. Life as you have known it is over. Welcome to the world's strangest club.

Just over two months after closing on a new house, my first son was born.  Buying a house was nothing.  Fatherhood.  Now that is panic.  That really exposed me, like a doomsday prepper caught without his surgical mask and duct tape.  Just look at my face in that picture.  That was about ten minutes into his new life; the nurses were still taking care of everything.  But look, and you can see the fear, the bewilderment, the disbelief...that and the grin on my father's face.  "This is going to be hilarious," that is what he is thinking.

In a day, I would be taking that little pink-faced thing home with me.  I had fish as pets when I was a kid, I found myself thinking.  They all died.  Houseplants in my post-college apartment?  Dead.  I had no qualifications for this of any kind, no training, and no idea what I was getting myself into.  
So, here is the part they never tell new dads.  Ready?  You have no maternal instincts.  You are a caveman.  When your baby arrives your deep-seated instincts tell you to flee, get hammered on some mead or grog or whatever, and then "go hunting" for at least eighteen months.  We were not made for this, you and I. We are men!  Pass the beernuts!  Today, however, we are being challenged, or given the opportunity, to be nearly equal partners in parenting, despite being poorly equipped for the task.  You see, for weeks, as all manner of people told me how wonderful it all was, I was consumed by the fact that I had made some life-altering mistake.  I told everyone how excited I was, how much love I felt already, but in truth, I felt basically nothing for that kid.  I wanted so desperately to escape the crying and sleeplessness that was my life, but there I was.  Know this: deep bonds are formed through traumatic experiences.  Early parenthood is traumatic.  Don't shy away from it, sleep when he sleeps, muddle through.  You will learn as you go.    

I once caught my son's poop in my hand.  I had taken his diaper off, but did not have another one out of the drawer yet.  I was getting cocky, showing too much hubris.  So there I was, right hand holding both ankles, his tiny butt hovering three inches above the pristine yellow changing pad cover.  My left hand struggled to remove a new diaper from the plastic shrink-wrapped package, when the turtle poked its head out.  I remember looking at the poop peeking out, and thinking "well, look at that."  My left hand, sensing impending tragedy, swooped up, like some misguided hero of do-goodery, and cupped that poop with all the tenderness of fatherhood.  Like Satan's softserve, it spiralled slowly round and round in the palm of my open hand.  My son stared up at me and giggled, the little bastard. He locked eyes with me and giggled.  The sound was so beautifu I almost forgot I was holding his poop in my hand.

Another time, he ate my cat's vomit.  I was approximately nine feet away in our living room, talking on the phone.  It may have been a telemarketer, I was so happy for an adult voice.  I saw him eating something, and casually strolled over to find him pulling pieces off of a half-digested log of regurgitated cat food.   Turns out, according to the pediatrician's office, kids eating cat vomit is actually not all that uncommon.  I will spare you the story of when my son threw up into my mouth: just don't throw your kid in the air after he has had a bottle, no matter how much he loves it.

My point is this You will do revolting thiings, and years later look back at them with a fond smile.  Fatherhood, in its earliest stages is a shit show.  Literally and figuratively.  For the first few months, your new offspring, the person everyone else is gooing and gaaing over is a houseplant.  He is furniture, but worse, because on top of the fact that he does not make eye contact, or sit up, or speak, or laugh, he does poop, and scream, and wail, and wake up at all hours, and steal from you, at least for a while, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  Look at the pictures.  That was my brandnew cycling magazine, a connection to my past I would hide in the bathroom and read - he knew and so he destroyed.  Look at the bottom left -- as I try to calm him, he is peeing on my shirt.  Babies are terrorists -- you never know when they will attack, but you live in fear of their unconventional and ruthless tactics.

Despite all of that, you will someday find yourself cleaning up vomit, wiping diarrhea, and thinking how lucky you are.  You will find your lost youth, playing games you have almost forgotten existed.  You will laugh, and run, and play, and see the world through the eyes of a child, finding all the magic that mortgages and work have tried to wipe away.  You will amaze yourself with your ability to help and comfort your kids, just as they will amaze you with their resilience.  So, welcome.  This is going to be hilarious.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Open Letter to My Seventh-Grade Flag Football Team

Boys, I have coached most of you for years now, and I want you to know that I have never been more proud than when you lost 16-60 this past weekend.  You heard that right.  When the opposing coach, up by more than forty points, told his team to play “without restraint” you continued to play with it. That is more important than any win.  Quick vocab lesson since I am an English teacher: Restraint is a noun. It means self-control. Staying under control is one of the most important lessons games like flag football can teach you. Not exercising control is what leads to penalties in games and all sorts of bad things in the real world.  While the other team continued to launch passes to the endzone, and comments across the line of scrimmage, you maintained control. The one moment it boiled over, you immediately apologized. You showed restraint, and that is why I am proud.  You are going to face stuff like that your whole lives. You are going to come across people who think winning is more im

A Farewell to My Seniors

It has been years since I first assigned commencement speeches to my seniors to end their high school experience. The stories they have told year after year always reaffirm why I keep doing this job. It has become a tradition for me to deliver a speech of my own to end the year. Here is this year's edition. I n his book Fablehaven Brandon Mull writes, “Smart people learn from their mistakes. But the real sharp ones learn from the mistakes of others.” That’s one thing I hoped to accomplish with these speeches to conclude the year. I hope Maddi’s statement that being cat-called makes women feel unsafe prevents all the young men sitting here from making that mistake. I hope Ryan’s mistake of not getting involved right away in high school inspires you to jump right into things in college. I hope the cautionary tales people have shared about addictions and eating disorders prevent you all from making the mistake of ignoring warning signs and encourage you to ask for help when you need

The Rules, as They Apply to Serena

“ Well, she DID break the rules ,” some people are saying. This past Saturday, Serena Williams was penalized in ways that were unprecedented for a Grand Slam final. Some want to spin the narrative that technically Serena deserved what she got. That is an oversimplification that needs more careful thought. Her first warning for coaching was justified, technically , by the fact that her coach was indeed gesturing for her to go to the net. Set aside for now the fact that men are rarely, if ever, called for similar behavior. Her second infraction, resulting in a point deduction, was for smashing her racket. She did. The Grand Slam rulebook defines “verbal abuse” as any statement about an official that “implies dishonesty or is derogatory, insulting or otherwise abusive.” So for her third infraction -- calling Ramos a “liar” and a “thief” -- she technically broke that rule resulting in a game deduction late in the second set. What people need to acknowledge is how sexism and racis